Tuesday, February 2, 2016

I want to remember...

The way the floors creak when I walk across certain boards in our house, it makes me feel like we live in an old house, and I love that. 
The feeling I have when all three of the kids are tucked away in their beds at night. I feel safe and happy and so content and grateful to all be here right now together under one roof. I know that it won't always be this way. 
Picking up the little scattered messes, I may be a little crazy to say it, but I know one day I'll miss the shoes everywhere, Eli's socks on the kitchen counter, Evelyn's toys all over every inch of the house, and Ava's shoes shoved under the coffee table. 
The way I feel when Ricky comes home at night, so happy he's home and thankful for all that he does for our family. and the nights we cook dinner and listen to music in the kitchen. Those are my favorite. 
I want to remember the sweet way Evelyn snuggles up with me and says "nuggle nuggle". The baths and the bedtimes, all the in between beautiful special and hard moments that come with having a toddler.
Braiding Ava's hair in the kitchen early in the morning while it's still dark out before school. This is one I'll hold with me forever and ever. There's something so magical and special and beautiful about braiding your daughters hair. 
Watching Eli grow into a young man, being so proud of who he is and who I see him becoming. But knowing that he's still my little boy, and that he still "needs" me to fix his lunch for school. Even though he does it most mornings now. Listening to him play the guitar has been one of my favorite things ever. He reminds me of my dad. 
Having kids over all the time. I love a full house. I also appreciate an empty, quiet house and a good cup of coffee. 
Ava's smile right now, before she gets braces. I want to remember that. Because I love that smile.
And speaking of teeth, Evelyn's baby teeth. I love baby teeth, and I'll miss them so much when they're gone. 
Eli's endless hunt for his constantly missing hairbrush, every day, every morning, every night. It's never where it's supposed to be. 
The moments I'm so tired I feel like I can't go on, but I know I will, and I know this is all I've ever wanted. And I'm so thankful, I'm so grateful for this life God chose to give me. It's not perfect, not one bit,  but that's what I love so much about it, all the little imperfections that make it the most perfect for us. 

These are the things I always want to remember. 



No comments:

Post a Comment